Very few people know Nekurenbo in person but everyone knows the story of the legendary monk; his voyage to the most weird and wonderful lands, his meeting with the master of the monkeys who gave him a magic wand, his quest for the sacred knowledge of the dragons, how he conquered King Bakeneko who wanted to eat him to secure his immortality, and how he sealed the demon within him so as to teach him good manners. It was this last incident that made him enter the monastery of the Golden Mountain where he could learn to channel this negative energy with the help of a mask made from the wood of a mythical oak tree.
- Sealed Demon: Gain 40 Life Points with Nekurenbo
- The Legend of the Possessed Monk: Inflict 200 Damages with Nekurenbo
Advantages & Disadvantages
- His base power is 8, which is good for a 5*.
- His base damage is 5, but becomes 7 with fury, allowing you to 2HKO with other members of the Fang Pi Clang.
- His ability gives you two life back, after you've won with him.
- His ability helps to create a gap between you and your opponent.
- You get his ability at level three, so he can be used then.
- The clan bonus increases his damage by two, making him a potential 8/7.
- If you fury with him while his bonus is activated, he becomes a potential 8/9, which is good.
- His base damage is 5, which is low for a 5*.
- He has competition from the other 5* in Fang Pi Clang.
- He is a 5*, so he takes up room in your deck.
- His bio may be a parody of the Chinese literature, Journey to the West, which features Sun Wukong, the Monkey King, who is destined to protect Xuanzang, a defenseless traveling monk on a journey to seek religious learnings (in the form of scrolls) from the gods of the west (more specifically India).
- The card itself is a combination of the two characters from Journey to the West, as Xuangzang's flesh grants all those who ingest it immortality, thus he is constantly targeted by monsters and demons. The magic wand/stick referred to in the bio is that of Sun Wukong.
- He may be a nod to Hiruzen Sarutobi from the popular anime series, Naruto, since his bio states he has fought an enemy who wanted to be immortal by consuming his powers. Moreover, Nekurenbo has sealed Bakeneko like Hiruzen Sarutobi did with Orochimaru.
- His appearance is similar to Aang from the anime series, Avatar: The Last Airbender. Both carry long sticks, both are bald and are considered legendary, due to their power.